Did you ever experience belly bloat? Once in a while, you feel bloated stomach in the morning or at night, even gassy. Or every time you eat and then get gas and constantly feeling bloated. Some people also get extreme condition regard this problem.
Today, we are going to tackle all bloating related questions, everything you want to know will be included in this long article, so be prepared!
Total two kinds bloat: Food related or health conditions.
Food that can cause bloating
Here are foods that can make your stomach swell:
- Coffee: Because it is acidic, black coffee can be extremely irritating to a weak stomach. It will cause immediate bloating. The effect could be even worse if sugar or a sweetener added.
- White bread: White bread makes the stomach swell because it is difficult to digest and can cause digestive problems. If you are a big bread eater and you are tired of having a full stomach, replace it with wholemeal bread. Unlike white bread, it provides twice as much fiber which facilitates intestinal transit and gives an impression of satiety.
- Fatty fish: Avoid eating fatty fish (salmon, tuna…) in case of frequent bloating because they promote fermentation.
- The meat: The offal, fatty meats and to braiser, the charcuterie provoke fermentation in the colon.
- Dairy products: High consumption of dairy products may cause bloating. It is important to know that in adulthood, the activity of the enzyme responsible for good glucose digestion decreases. Therefore, lactose is not well digested, and once in the colon, it ferments and causes gases.
- Popcorn: Popcorn can cause bloating because of its volume. A handful is the equivalent of three to four cups of popcorn. It is almost not caloric, on the other hand, it takes up a lot of space in the stomach, which makes the stomach swell.
- Garlic: Garlic is part of the FODMAP, which is a group of foods containing poorly digestible carbohydrates. The latter has the particularity of arriving almost intact to a place in the intestine where they serve as food for local bacteria. Nobody digests them correctly: they are the origin of flatulence. But in people suffering from a fragile and easily irritable intestine, these gases are particularly painful. It is therefore not advisable to consume too much garlic if you wish to avoid bloating.
- Legumes: Although legumes are very healthy, they tend to bag our bellies. This is because they are rich in fiber and carbohydrates not degradable by the body and therefore tend to irritate the intestine and cause flatulence. To avoid having a swollen stomach from dried vegetables, be sure to soak your vegetables in water overnight, cook them thoroughly and wait until the skin is tender before eating them.
- Soft drinks: Bloating is caused by an accumulation of air or gas in the intestines, causing swelling. Soft beverages release gas into the digestive tract and contribute to this bloating sensation. Bubbles in soft drinks, and even sparkling water cause air to enter your digestive system, causing bloating. It’s even worse if you drink with a straw. Indeed, the air contained in the straw is also directly found in your stomach!
- Fatty foods: Dishes in sauce, frying, biscuits, cakes, cause bloating because they are long to digest. Cooked and fried fats delay the evacuation of the gastric bowl. In people who are very sensitive to intestinal discomfort, a diet rich in lipids can increase abdominal discomfort.
- Cabbages: Excellent for health because low in calories, cabbages such as Brussels sprouts, cauliflowers and broccoli are vegetables that tend to ferment and cause flatulence. To avoid feeling bloated, you should eat them well cooked with green plants to help the stomach digest them more easily.
- Raw Vegetables: Although raw vegetables are good for the figure and your health, raw vegetables make your stomach swell (especially cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts) because they ferment to destroy dietary fibers. This slows digestion and releases gases.
- Sugar-free chewing gum: Sugar-free gum bloats for two main reasons. First, we chew air, which makes it swell. Then, because of the presence of carbohydrates. The body does not well digest these, so the stomach works too much especially when we consume a lot.
- Eggs: It is not recommended to eat fried eggs or omelets because they use fats that prevent gastric evacuation.
- Dried fruit: The process of transforming fresh fruit into dried fruit concentrates the sugars they contain. This higher sugar concentration can cause bloating and other gastrointestinal problems if consumed in large quantities. Choose dried fruits without added sugar; these are already sweet enough, no need to add! For people with irritable bowel syndrome, this higher concentration of sugars and the presence of fructans in dried fruit may cause symptoms.
- Too much fiber: We often hear that a diet rich in fiber is beneficial for health. However, if you try to increase the amount of fiber in your diet too quickly, you may not feel too good!
- Onions: They are found in just about every kitchen in the world, but for people with irritable bowel syndrome, onions can cause unpleasant symptoms. They contain a large number of fructans, hence the signs. If the onion is not a problem for you, continue to eat it as it contains a variety of interesting nutrients such as inulin, which is prebiotic.
- Watermelon: This sweet and refreshing summer treat… could give you some bloating. Melon is rich in fructose, a naturally occurring sugar that is not absorbed by the human gastrointestinal tract, causing gas. Experts estimate that one in three people does not absorb glucose well.
- Mangoes: Mango is one of those fruits that contain more fructose than glucose, an imbalance that makes it harder for our body to absorb fructose and can cause bloating and other stomach problems.
- Plums: Plums are loaded with polyols, also called “sugar alcohols” because of their structure (they resemble both sugar and alcohol), and because the bacteria in our digestive system ferment them, causing stomach problems such as bloating.
- Beer: Have you ever heard the phrase “having the belly of a beer drinker”? Not only does beer increase belly fat, but it also causes bloating because of the fermented carbohydrates used in its production: barley, wheat, rice, yeast (presence of gluten).
To be noted, the list can go on and on; we only list the common foods here.
6 Food Related Questions:
Does spinach cause bloat?
Can water make you bloated?
Too much water yes.
Does broccoli make you bloated?
Yes, same as cabbage.
Do eggs cause bloating and gas
Some people may have such reaction.
Does carbonated water cause bloating
Of course, check above!
Does yogurt/cheese/milk make you bloated
Yes, all belong to dairy products.
Foods to combat bloating
Choose the right diet in your daily life can profoundly reduce the rates of it. If you ever wonder “what to eat to reduce bloating,” below, we list more than 20 foods which you can add to your meals wisely to avoid this ailment.
18 best foods to eat to fight the swollen stomach
Here is a list of foods to consume to fight against this unpleasant sensation that one can have after a meal, without having recourse to medication.
1 – Prunes
Prunes are good for your transit, being rich in fiber they carry away waste from other foods, its sugars ferment in the digestive system, boosting transit and promoting elimination.
They are also very effective in case of constipation and its excellent appetite suppressant.
2 – Peach
Made with 87% water, peach helps to rehydrate the body and eliminate toxins; it is, therefore, advisable in case of bloating.
3 – The pineapple stem
Rich in vitamin, pineapple is good anti-inflammatory and also excellent against digestive problems because the stem promotes protein digestion, accelerates transit, produces a diuretic effect and acts directly on cellulite tissues.
4 – Beetroot
Beetroot helps with digestive problems. It helps to better digest food, slows down the absorption of sugars and stimulates intestinal transit. In the form of juice, it produces a laxative effect.
In case of indigestion, it is advisable to eat cooked to avoid fermentation.
6 – Lemon
The lemon juice helps to slim, but it will also help you in case of digestive disorder, thanks to its effect, fat-burning and detoxifying, it will allow you to digest better.
Pour hot or cold water over the juice of a squeezed lemon.
7 – The raspberry
Raspberry is an excellent preventive measure against bloating; you only need to take a few after a meal to facilitate intestinal transit.
Choose foods that slow intestinal transit, such as rice with cooked water (and starch) or cooked carrots.
8 – Peppermint or Anise tea
Peppermint or Anise tea is particularly effective in treating symptoms related to irritable bowel syndrome because it will soothe the muscles of the gastrointestinal tract.
9 – Melon
Melon is also an excellent anti-bloat food. It boosts my transit, helps digest, stimulates the stomach and liver, acts as a real appetite suppressant and slows down the arrival of fats and sugars in the body.
Squeezed into juice, or infused whole in hot water.
10 – Cayenne pepper
Cayenne pepper is a powerful antioxidant known for digestion and ballooning. It is rich in vitamins A and C and is a complete B vitamin complex.
You can use it as a classic spice, to decorate your dishes. Or sprinkle in a glass of hot or cold water. Cayenne pepper is also found in capsule form.
11 – Foods rich in fiber
Foods rich in fiber promote transit and allow the intestinal flora to rebalance, which reduces bloating. Nevertheless, it is not necessary to consume too much to avoid fermentation.
12 – Artichoke
The artichoke is an anti-balloon food because their fermentation is weak and they support the expulsion of gas.
13 – Fennel
It is n remedy to cure all gastric and intestinal diseases. It promotes the body’s blood circulation and facilitates digestion.
Fennel eliminates flatulence and fights gastric acidity as well as heartburn caused by dietary errors and overeating.
Fennel can be eaten as vegetables, oil or more efficiently as tablets.
14 – Ginger
Ginger relieves inflammation and pain because it prevents the production of prostaglandins, hormones that are precursors to inflammatory mechanisms. It can also help against constipation problems.
15 – Caraway seeds
These seeds have carminative properties, i.e., they facilitate the expulsion of gases and prevent their formation.
16 – Chamomile
Chamomile tea has anti-inflammatory, carminative and relaxing properties that will have a soothing effect on the mucous membranes of the digestive tract.
17 – Parsley
Parsley is very useful for fresh breath and digestive problems.
This tropical fruit contains an enzyme called papain which is particularly effective against gas, bloating, and excess water.
How to flush belly bloat quickly?
Well, in some cases, when you feel super bloated stomach, eat these things does not seem a good idea though. That’s why you need some ways to instant relief yourself. Here we teach you the quickest and best way to get rid of bloating, swift and effective.
First, sit in the chair and slowly drink some water. When there is enough fluid in your system, the fiber in your system can draw more fluid into the small intestine and relieve constipation.
Then, try to massage to reduce gases. Sometimes, the bloating we suffer is due to an accumulation of gas. Fortunately, in these cases, it is possible to avoid them.
How to do that?
- You will massage at the navel area.
- Put four fingers on it horizontally.
- At the middle finger level, you will find the exact point you are looking for.
- Once you have located it, massage for 2 or 3 minutes clockwise.
- You will know if you are doing it well because saliva production must increase.
Appendix: Other Related Questions
what does a bloated stomach feel like?
As word describes.
Why do I wake up bloated?
You may overeat last night or go to sleep too early, or have digestive problems, etc.
how to relieve bloating after eating?
why is my stomach bloated all the time?
You may have a severe digestive problem, go to see your doctor.
how to get rid of salt bloat?
Eat less salt in your daily routine.
can a kidney infection cause bloat?
can gallstones cause bloating?
Do you bloat during ovulation?
Yes, it’s common.
why do I get bloated on my period and how long does it last?
Female hormones influence or diet change during these days in a month. It can last 1-2 weeks total.